online relationship-centered communication (RCC):
Facilitation Skills for Online Delivery
Presented by Calvin Chou, MD, PhD, FACH and Krista Hirschmann, PhD, FACH
Two-part series occurs Tuesday, March 2nd from 11am-1pm ET (Part 1): and 2pm-4pm ET. (Part 2)
The Academy of Communication in Healthcare (ACH) External Education team invested great efforts across 2020 to convert the standard in-person “Relationship-Centered Communication (RCC)” workshop for delivery as an online program. As with the in-person offering, the online program is conducted in real-time small-group gatherings, hosted via Zoom, and encourages skill development through conversation, reflection, and feedback.
RCC Facilitators who previously achieved certification to teach the standard in-person workshop to peers will benefit from additional support to effectively deliver the online version of the RCC program.
The ACH External Education team will offer an introductory two (2) part (four (4) hour) workshop to support current RCC facilitators.
Participants will receive access to the new 2020 Standard RCC Online PowerPoint and Facilitator guide.
Interactive Learning: Participants attend two (2) live, interactive online sessions facilitated via Zoom by Senior ACH Faculty involved in External Education programs. The online experience enables high-touch engagement as 75% of the session involves active engagement in small group activities. Rather than a didactic or asynchronous mode of learning, this effective adult-learning approach engages participants in practice and feedback on individual skills performance. Learning occurs among colleague participants and is facilitated to create a secure and supportive learning environment.
Session 1: Demonstration of Online RCC Program for Skill Set One:
Two (2) Hours:
- Provides current RCC trainers with initial exposure to the online workshop experience.
- ACH Senior Faculty Leader(s) will guide Session One as a demonstration so that participants can experience the role of a new participant who will encounter RCC in the online space.
- Small groups enable an intimate learning experience; one (1) ACH Faculty will guide a maximum of six (6) participants during breakout learning groups.
Session 2: Backstage Facilitator Skill Development:
Two (2) Hours:
- ACH Senior Faculty Leader(s) will share tips and techniques to support successful online facilitation, including insight regarding the nuanced differences between in-person vs online delivery of the RCC program.
- Participants will practice facilitation activities in an effort to begin acclimating to delivery of the online (vs in-person) format, with observation and guidance from the ACH Senior Faculty Leader.
- Participants will be invited to ask questions and seek additional support at the conclusion of this session.
NOTE: This four (4) hour workshop does not ensure success or result in “certification” to facilitate online; participants should additionally and independently aim to continue practice and strategic development to ensure success as they prepare to deliver the online RCC program at their home institutions.